January 2022 Newsletter
- Bryan Osborn showed us his new Lionel equipment. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/bryan-osborn.html
- From a humble beginning, Ron Smith’s layout grew to include a loop beyond the farm, a loop through a ‘living desert,’ and a loop through a small, 1950s town. 100 feet of track expanded to 300 feet and one train expanded to three. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/ron-smith-g-scale-outdoors.html
- Dick and Laurie Saunders’ newest incarnation of Red Rock with added track, another tunnel, and the coal mine's relocation among other details. Also in March, Dick took us into his workshop while building a curved display trestle for a G scale locomotive. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/blog-page_94.html
- Tom Lantry began his HO layout and learned DCC techniques. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/tom-lantry-ho-scale.html
- Chance Haworth returned to HO from Lionel and showed us his recent acquisitions. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/chance-haworth.html
- Jim Harper showed us progress on the Colfax Depot construction. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/blog-page.html
- Tim Fitch shared photos of his 3D printed water-driven stamping mill. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/blog-page_24.html
- Werner Balsterholt completed another puzzle while recovering from knee surgery. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/werner-balsterholt-puzzles.html
- John Dobbs set aside his On30 plans and began a new N-scale layout to be enclosed in a bass guitar case. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/john-dobbs-on30-logging-railroad.html
- Continuing construction on his American Flyer layout, Rick Guercio shows us his progress. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/rick-guercio-cedar-city-american-flyer.html
- Larry Schneider debuted a photographic mural attached to the block wall behind his railroad. It measures 24 feet by 37 inches. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/blog-page_15.html
- Keith Johnson shared photos of his layout taken by drone pilot Greg James. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/keith-johnson-g-scale-outdoors.html From the July Newsletter, drone video of Keith’s layout is found here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1llAp5bvlWq3cDClqnaojyn_r-b6UzhND/view
- Thomas Eckhardt shared a video he recorded of Union Pacific operations in Oregon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Le8wAp6S4 Thomas also shared his techniques for finding the best locations for railfanning. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RpmU3PHIutAuNH9pDbDBW76YHuyscpMD/view
- And Tom Landry described a railfan experience he enjoyed. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lxplMjb3ap48a6X-4aglASj_zlqqIP-9/view
- John Drzewiecki, who divides time between St. George and New York shares photos of his layout back east. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/john-drzewiecki.html
- Follow a Rio Grande mixed freight as it travels over Dave and Kate Merrill’s Ascape Tennsion & Sulphur Gulch Railroad. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mz7rZ7jjkU9IvbgKptLn_os-a8NZt1t7/view
- Warner Balsterholt’s railroad suffered major high wind damage while he and Ann were out of town. Repairs are also shown after the damage photos. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/werner-basterholt-g-scale.html
- Larry and Peggy Schneider visited the newly renovated Cog Railroad at Pikes Peak. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/larry-and-peggy-schneiders-trip-to.html
- More of Tom Landry’s layout progress is detailed here. Look for the October 2021 Update. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/tom-lantry-ho-scale.html
- Dan Mangiarcina added an under-table section to his Lionel layout. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/dan-mangiarcina-lionel-new.html
- Larry Schneider photographed layouts in SunRiver as displayed during the November Open House. https://www.colorcountrytrains.org/p/2021-annual-layout-tour-sun-river.html
- Our treasurer, Larry Schneider, reminds us 2022 dues are reduced for current 2021 members to $10. Individuals joining the club in 2022 will pay the usual $25. Larry asks you contact him (email@example.com) to arrange payment. CCMRRC t-shirts are also available to complete your stylish wardrobe.
- The lights are ON inside the Colfax Depot and outside the Colfax Fruit Growers warehouse on Jim Harper’s O-scale layout. Click HERE and scroll to the January 2022 Update.
- Bryan Enarson's layout collection is on display. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NQs1CWZyj1zCdPxAFhqR6TlijmMkiaeC/view?usp=sharing
- Long before his G-scale or N-scale railroads, Werner Balsterholt modeled HO for over forty years. Read his story and view his last HO layout HERE.
Toy Man TV – Dale and Karyn Angell added videos recorded from our 2021 Open House to their YouTube channel.
- Terry Schramm’s Lionel and Department 56 collections https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxncDS_WMTA
- Jim and Beverly Harper’s Proto 48 Model Railroad – Southern Pacific https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DyOYurPA_4
- Toy Trains!! The Color Country Model Railroad Open House 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8WNZU9CMU
- As mentioned last month, the Kanab Train Show is slated for February 11-12, 2022. For additional details visit http://www.KanabTrainShow.com.
- Train enthusiasts keep the model train hobby alive, passing it onto younger generations. https://www.wmdt.com/2021/12/train-enthusiasts-keep-the-model-train-hobby-alive-passing-it-onto-younger-generations/
- Ken Patterson visits with Ed Dickens from Union Pacific in the newest edition of What’s Neat in Model Railroading. Also included is drone footage of UP and Amtrak trains running through the snow-covered Oregon Cascade mountains. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGSeukxfIEM
- Christmas Eve 2021 & Lionel O Scale Polar Express https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ed3kEX220
- Winter Railroading Was No Holiday https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/blog/winter-railroading-was-no-holiday?utm_campaign=soi_winter_holiday_december_2021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ipost
- Paul Hurly - Selling Model Train Inventory on the Internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3kGtilLVo4
- S Scale and S Gauge Model Railroad Trains https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/about-s-scale-2382429
Again, Happy 2022 everyone!