February 2021 Newsletter
As this week’s snowfall quite nicely demonstrated, winter isn’t quite done with us yet. For those of us with indoor railroads, weather has little effect on our miniature modeling or the layout images we capture. In fact, some modelers go to great lengths to depict freshly fallen snow on their railroad’s diminutive scenery and structures. Not so for our club’s outdoor G scalers whose layouts were blanketed with a fluffy white layer a few days ago.
As club members recall from the December Newsletter, we saw Dick and Laurie Saunders’ newest incarnation of Red Rock with added trackage, another tunnel, and the coal mine relocation among other details. With the recent weather change however, we now witness chillier (nearly blizzard) conditions. Click HERE and scroll down to February 2021 Update to see the nearly 2 feet (in G scale) accumulation.
Celebrating its rebirth in 1946, American Flyer is marking its 75th anniversary in 2021. It’s obvious Rick Guercio is wholeheartedly recognizing that birthday with his continuing layout construction. As you can see, the mountains have been painted along with other building progress. Unfortunately, Rick indicates his most recent mural artist was less than reliable and he hopes to find a more dependable individual soon to complete the background artwork. Click HERE and scroll down to February 2021 Update for the newest images.
Doug Whetstone updates us on his layout construction HERE. Scroll down to February 2021 Update to see the peninsula and helix additions along with full descriptions of his construction steps. To stay current with his layout progress, visit his webpage anytime. https://dougstrainroom.blogspot.com/
A HUGE shout out goes to past president Dave Merrill for undertaking the monumental job of Joe Zukowski’s railroad inventory disposal. After categorizing the inventory and grading it piece by piece, Dave shipped the collection to Trainz. Within a few weeks, the Zukowski family will receive a check for the inventory. Again, thanks very much Dave !!
Model Railroad News
- Robert Lacey announces the Kanab Train Show on March 5-6, 2021 in the post shown HERE. (Unlike 2020, the Lionel Group has decided not to display the 3-rail layout at this year’s event.)
- The 2021 NMRA “Rails by the Bay” Convention slated for July 4-11, 2021 in Santa Clara, CA has been cancelled. However, a multi-day video virtual event is under development. See https://www.nmra2021.com/ for additional details.
- The Rocky Mountain Region’s Pikes Peak Division is hosting its Train Expo Colorado (TECO) Outdoor Swap Meet on May 22, 2021. See http://www.rmr-nmra.org/comingevents.htm for details.
Prototype Railroad News
- BNSF and WABTEC to begin battery-electric locomotive pilot test in California. https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/01/20210105-bnsf.html
- Additional photos of Pennsylvania Station’s Moynihan Train Hall in Manhattan. https://www.archdaily.com/954941/moynihan-train-hall-som
- Surface Transportation Board extends comment period for proposed Uinta Basin Railway. https://www.progressiverailroading.com/federal_legislation_regulation/news/STB-extends-comment-period-for-proposed-Uinta-Basin-Railway--62546
All Aboard !!