Lloyd Thomson - HO Scale
8' x 16' structure is freestanding and constructed on a 2x4 frame. Proto-freelance trackplan approximates Union Pacific in 1955 and will include engine terminal operations, staging / fiddle yard, and logging operations.
1) Benchwork materials.
2) Using 1x4 fir, open grid bench work construction is underway and attached to 2x4 frame with 2" drywall screws.
3) 3/8" plywood was glued and screwed to 1x4 frame. Pink foam insulation board (1 1/2" FOAMULAR 150 Extruded Polystyrene) cut to fit.
4) Ten 4' fixtures installed with 32W GE Cool White tubes, 4100 degrees K.
5) Formed two broad curves with 1/8" hardboard panels and installed with 3/4" wire nails.
6) Decided against "duckunder" as a means of entrance and exit in favor of this swing gate.
7) Loctite PL300 used to adhere foam insulation board to plywood benchwork.
8) Prepping hardboard joints for filler (DAP DRYDex).
9) Installing 1/8" hardboard for fascia.
10) Installed two 4'x8' hardboard panels on "outside" wall.
11) Using BEHR paint custom mixed at Home Depot, I painted outside wall Harbor Mist gray, Armour Yellow, and Vermillion Red. (Colors were scanned from Rivarossi dining car, City of Los Angeles.) I used Adobe Illustrator to draw the artwork. Rainbow Sign and Banner (St. George, UT) printed and installed vinyl graphics.
12) Made tight-radius background panels from white .060" PLAS-TEX PolyWall sheet plastic, purchased at Lowes. Mounted panels with Loctite PL375 general purpose construction adhesive and staples.
13) Backdrop painted eggshell BEHR Charismatic Sky. Valance and fascia will be painted Harbor Mist gray.
14) Pink foam board painted BEHR Stone Brown, matte finish.
15) Completed swing gate and "vestibule" door from outside. "Frost King" tubing insulation above the door protects against unwanted head wounds.
16) View from the inside.
17) Outside view of the "passenger car".
18) From left to right... ATX unit provides 13.5VDC, 5.5VDC & 3.5VDC (routed to 5A fuses) for lighting and accessory circuits. Home-built unit outputs 18VAC specifically for turntable. Lien Engineering unit provides dedicated 15VDC (5A) for DB100+ Digitrax Command Station. CPU fan blows across command station heat sink.
19) Scrap wood, casters, retired laptop, Digitrax PR4 used to build workstation and connects to isolated programming track in engine terminal. After use, workstation rolls under bench work, out of the way.
20) Swing gate track & roadbed secured with gap-filling CA and cut with razor saw.
23) Future home of diesel fueling rack in foreground.
24) 650 Ton Coal Bunker (IHC kit) completed and weathered.
25) Walthers 130' turntable (933-2850) installed and weathered.
26) 14 stall roundhouse construction is underway using Walthers 933-2900 and 933-2901 kits. Back walls of closest 5 stalls will be omitted to allow viewing the roundhouse interior from the aisle.
27) Smoothing stall-to-stall seams with sandpaper, spackle, and razor.
28) For aged concrete roundhouse floor, used FolkArt Home Decor Chalk acrylic paints (Oatmeal & Light Gray) applied with artist sponge as detailed at http://hoscalecustoms.com/lets-talk-concrete-fifty-shades-of-gray.
29) Stalls trimmed flush to bench work, roof trusses erected, and 52 LEDs installed (with temporary wiring).
31) Used diluted orange acrylic craft paint on LEDs to warm the tone, better simulating incandescent lights.
31) First look inside with roof and walls temporarily installed.
32) Using Evergreen rectangular tubing as conduits, 20 gauge feeders were run from 14 gauge buss under bench work to each of four LED strings. To hide from view, conduits were glued to the back side of uprights.